



I have been reading heaps of poetry, but so far not written anything new this year. Thats a little bit worrying. It feels that I am overloaded with material and still processing it all. I came across a blogger from Gaza who had postedthese pictures that chilled me to the bone and I can't stop thinking about them. Pictures of charred childrens bodies, racist graffiti and Israeli children learning about guns along with thier ABC's. Why don't we see these pictures in the western media. We are 'protected' from the ugly truth.
I think the reason I am struggling to write is that I am worried that my poetry is going to be too political and somehow that seems something looked down on, makes your poetry a turn off. But if my poetry is my way of moving through the world and exploring reality how can I ignore the things that concern me most? How can I not speak because it may make someone feel uncomfortable? I talked about this with Joanna today and what came out of that is that for me writing highly personal poetry is fine for me not scary, but to put my feelings about politics and social justice out there seems very threatening. I mean last year when I dared to do a play on Veganism I got slaughtered, somehow everyone became very angry and defensive like I was somehow judging them - I wasnt. I am just trying to be true in my writing/poetry to who I am. I can only write my experience, my perceptions. I guess what made me start to worry was when I presented Inshallah to be workshoped a comment was made that I was brave to present such a political poem...and that unsettled me a bit. I began to doubt the validity of doing that....was it somehow wrong???
What I am loving is that in my research I am coming across many poets, not widely know that I am loving. My frustration is that alot of these poets work is only available on the net, no one carries their books in NZ so I have been ordering poetry books from overseas....exspensive!! Here are a couple of my favorites. The first by Brian Turner an American poet, retired marine ho served in Iraq. The second by Puerto Rican poet Martin Espada.
Eulogy
It happens on a Monday, at 11:20 a.m.,
as tower guards eat sandwiches
and seagulls drift by on the Tigris river.
Prisoners tilt their heads to the west
though burlap sacks and duct tape blind them.
The sound reverberates down concertina coils
the way piano wire thrums when given slack.
And it happens like this, on a blue day of sun,
when Private Miller pulls the trigger
to take brass and fire into his mouth.
The sound lifts the birds up off the water,
a mongoose pauses under the orange trees,
and nothing can stop it now, no matter what
blur of motion surrounds him, no matter what voices
crackle over the radio in static confusion,
because if only for this moment the earth is stilled,
and Private Miller has found what low hush there is
down in the eucalyptus shade, there by the river.
PFC B. Miller
(1980-March 22, 2003)
Brian Turner
from Here, Bullet
Imagine the Angels of Bread
This is the year that squatters evict landlords,
gazing like admirals from the rail
of the roofdeck
or levitating hands in praise
of steam in the shower;
this is the year
that shawled refugees deport judges
who stare at the floor
and their swollen feet
as files are stamped
with their destination;
this is the year that police revolvers,
stove-hot, blister the fingers
of raging cops,
and nightsticks splinter
in their palms;
this is the year
that darkskinned men
lynched a century ago
return to sip coffee quietly
with the apologizing descendants
of their executioners.
This is the year that those
who swim the border's undertow
and shiver in boxcars
are greeted with trumpets and drums
at the first railroad crossing
on the other side;
this is the year that the hands
pulling tomatoes from the vine
uproot the deed to the earth that sprouts the vine,
the hands canning tomatoes
are named in the will
that owns the bedlam of the cannery;
this is the year that the eyes
stinging from the poison that purifies toilets
awaken at last to the sight
of a rooster-loud hillside,
pilgrimage of immigrant birth;
this is the year that cockroaches
become extinct, that no doctor
finds a roach embedded
in the ear of an infant;
this is the year that the food stamps
of adolescent mother sare auctioned like gold doubloons,
and no coin is given to buy machetes
for the next bouquet of severed heads
in coffee plantation country.
If the abolition of slave-manacles
began as a vision of hands without manacles,
then this is the year;
if the shut down of extermination camps
began as imagination of a land
without barbed wire or the crematorium,
then this is the year;
if every rebellion begins with the idea
that conquerors on horseback
are not many-legged gods, that they too drown
if plunged in the river,
then this is the year.
So may every humiliated mouth,
teeth like desecrated headstones,
fill with the angels of bread.
Martin Espada
from The Republic of Poetry

No comments:
Post a Comment